Holidays in secondary classrooms can be a challenge because you don’t want activities to seem too young or boring. Check out what other teachers are doing to make holiday celebrations fun in their classrooms.
- A1: This year we are bringing back the Yule Log as part of our Winter Solstice celebration, celebrating nature instead of a denominational holiday because we’re an environmental school
- A1: As a school, we have a holiday concert where the choirs and bands perform. Then we have a school-wide sing along on the last day before holiday break.
- 1: Our school doesn’t officially celebrate Christmas or not celebrate Christmas – it’s more of a classroom thing. We’re reading A Christmas Carol.
- A1: We also added a family gingerbread house making night.
- A2: I like to celebrate the season with educational activities more info in this blog post https://t.co/n0MjDk5UV6
- A2: I don’t have my own classroom right now but I love the idea of giving the gift of words as described in this blog post https://t.co/GLcVnxOJV4 (Tip #3)
- A2: Lots more holiday ideas here https://t.co/DxyUCavj5i
- A2: I love reading the play version of “A Christmas Carol”!
- A3: I keep the same routines too plus I try to have more active things going on: https://t.co/AIRAr3mwyh
- A3: I teach real content and keep up regular routines until the last day of school before holiday break.
- A3: Using nonfiction texts tied to the holidays is a great way to keep things academic any time a holiday comes up. Students learn about the holiday and don’t realize they are also practicing readings skills https://t.co/WS8BWRtNJ7
- A4: At school we do a hygiene drive for the homeless of small soaps, toothpaste, etc. More ideas in this past chat https://t.co/LXvRTJAHG4
- A4: Great lesson ideas for thinking about giving in this Twitter chat recap https://t.co/B14lKij5gr
- A5: Here’s ideas for different ideas some academic, some service learning-oriented for leading up to the holidays https://t.co/4mxsbgyloR
- A5: I’ve seen kindness chains made from paper and I think I am going to try that this year. 🙂
- A5: I’ve also tried “Paying it Forward” with classes. One year we sang at an assisted living and made “grandfriends”.
- Holiday Season Survival Guide
- Tips for Teachers to Reduce Holiday Stress
- Promoting Joy During the Holiday Season
- Holiday Lesson Ideas
- Helping Students Think About Giving Not Getting
- Re-Establishing Classroom Routines and Goal Setting After the Holiday Break
- The Holiday Season in the Secondary ELA Classroom
Grab Great Teaching Tips!
Subscribe to get our great content by email. We will use your email address to send out teaching tips and lesson ideas.