Reflection is an important skill that we need to reinforce with our students. To assist with this task, I created a New Year’s small group discussion and goal setting activity to help my students with their reflection skills. In this step-by-step goal setting activity, students will be excited and engaged during their first week back at school.
1. Arrange students in small groups of 4 – 5 people.
2. Give each group a bag of discussion prompts.
3. Provide students time to use the discussion prompts in their small groups.
4. Have a brief class discussion about new ideas they started to think about stemming from the discussion.
5. Hand out the New Year’s Reflection Sheets and model responses under a document camera.
6. Give students independent work time to fill out their reflection sheets.
7. As time permits, conference with your students about their goals.
Included in this Resource:
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Group Reflection Discussion Prompts
- 2 Goal Setting Graphic Organizers
- Google Classroom ready PDFs
Grab Great Teaching Tips!
Subscribe to get our great content by email. We will use your email address to send out teaching tips and lesson ideas.