2. Comfy spot to read. I bought “reading carpets” to encourage students to find their reading spot. The carpets are the perfect size for partner and individual reading. This allows students to read anywhere in the classroom in comfort. I got these carpets at JYSK, but I am sure any big box store has something similar.
3. High Interest News Articles. This newspaper article wall gets updated a few times a week. I get one of Canada’s national daily papers to my classroom each day. I found that it was just sitting on my white board ledge and not being read. Now I tear out articles that might interest my students and they are reading up a storm!
5. Genre reminder anchor board. This helps students remember to read a variety of genres.
6. High Interest Reading Assignments. My students read a different genre every month and complete different activities based on choice and interest. To see more information on these assignments click on the photos above.
7. Student choice on reading material! Provide choice for major student readings: literature circles, reading groups, book reports. A little as choosing between two or three books helps engage students and enables them to control their own learning.
8. High Interest Core Novels. Please stop reading boring books for read alouds and whole class novel studies. There are so many interesting novels to choose from. My two go to core novels for Grades 7 & 8 are The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I have read The Outsiders for 6 years now and not ONE class has disliked it.
9. Student selected reading advertisements. I surveyed all three of my rotary classes, and they came up with these 11 books that they enjoyed reading. I printed off the covers and posted the plot synopsis below. Students are constantly walking over to read what their classmates recommended.
Next week I am going to change the top row of my display shelf to showcase these Best of 2012 books.
Grab Great Teaching Tips!
Subscribe to our email list to get engaging teaching and lesson ideas, as well as special subscriber only bonus resources sent directly to your email address.