Smartphones in the Classroom

BYOD (Bring your own device) is a becoming a popular trend in education to help schools save money and students become familiar with the technology they already have. Discover technology ideas and classroom management policies around BYOD in this blog post from 2 Peas and a Dog.

Cellphones may or may not be permitted in your classroom.

My students are encouraged to Bring Their Own Devices (BYOD) to school daily.

Different Models of Cellphones in the Classroom:

• Some teachers prefer them to be face down on the desks in the open,
  • Other teachers prefer them to be stored in students pockets and pulled out for uses when needed
  • Other students are allowed to decide how they wish to store their device when it is not in use.

The method of BYOD looks different in everyone’s classroom depending on school rules, classroom reediness and teacher comfort level.

• Students can use their cellphone calender as their daily agenda. I use my cellphone calender to manage my time and appointments, so I thought why not model this strategy for my students? My class is split down the middle with half using our school issued paper agenda and the others using their laptops or cellphones as their agenda.
  • Listen to audio books or audio material of items studying in class.
  • Read e-books.
  • Take photos of white board lessons for future reference or as a writing/scribe accommodation for students.
  • Take photos of hand outs/assignment sheets – then if they get misplaced the student has a copy they can download to their computer and reprint.
  • Use Today’s Meet to have students ask questions to you during your lesson or chat amongst themselves if they have questions. It is like a free chat room that is invite only by URL.
  • Use Poll Everywhere to get the students to vote by text. Could be used as a status of the class or an exit or entrance pass.
  • During a review lesson students could “text a friend” like Phone a Friend from who wants to be a millionaire if you can set this up with another classroom teacher.
  • Use for Internet research for a project or daily classroom questions.
  • Record video for a presentation or project.
  • Use Apple’s Siri to help students get their ideas on to paper quickly without the stress of writing for students who struggle with written output.
  • Word process anything written: answers, essays, dot jot notes.
  • Google Maps, online atlas, online maps.
  • Use as a calculator: basic, scientific or graphing
  • Use a QR code reader app for students to get additional information stored on links.
  • Use them as response tools for online websites like Kahoot or Plickers
Want a copy of this list? Click Here

Exclusive Resources For Teachers

Subscribe to get engaging lesson ideas and special subscriber only bonus lessons like our Rant Writing Unit sent directly to your email address.

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Erin
    April 11, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Wow! I've never worked in a district that allowed cell phones, and the result of this is that they have no idea how to use them appropriately. My kids brought them to Saturday school, and they were nothing but disruptions. They just wanted to listen to music, text, and play on Facebook/Instagram. I was constantly redirecting them.

MissMath
    April 11, 2013 at 11:32 pm

What about scanning those cool QR codes? I am personally loving creating them for my students, and they supply the instant gratification my middle schoolers are so desperate for:)
    Stephanie

Mathteachertimeout.blogger.com

FourthGrade Flipper
    April 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm

This is completely foreign to me! At what grade do students really start doing BYOD? I think any 1:1 device has so much potential for use in the classroom. Our district just isn't there yet:( It won't be long though, I'm sure! Thank you for sharing and linking up. I am going to pin for future reference:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

C. Sterling
    April 17, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I have used them as response clickers with SmartResponse (SmartTechnologies) – there are free websites & apps for that now; we have also used the cameras for TV production as we didn't have enough cameras to go around.

Fern Smith
    April 19, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I am so impressed with how advanced you are in your teaching and thinking….my personal teenagers use them for everything, so why STOP them when they go to school, technology is the way of the future and the children know more than 98% of the teachers! This is a terrific list.
    Thanks for linking up,
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    PS….I love your new blog design! 🙂

Julie Goode
    April 24, 2013 at 11:45 pm

My students use their devices to read, scan QR Code and go on picture scavenger hunts. They LOVE it. Great post!
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

April Walker
    April 26, 2013 at 3:43 am

I think this is a great idea for middle school students and up!
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Balancing the Backpack

Kristy @ 2peasandadog
    August 1, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hi Erin! It takes a ton of time to teach kids how to use them appropriate. I have had the same situation as your Saturday school in summer school.

Kristy @ 2peasandadog
    August 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I need to learn more about QR codes this year!

Kristy @ 2peasandadog
    August 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Students are allowed to bring their own items as of Grade 5 but it is not very popular until Grade 6. Many schools in my board have iPads for the primary students and they love them.

Kristy @ 2peasandadog
    August 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Fern, I was just thinking about cell phones today. What are my students going to do with their school purchased day planners?

Kristy @ 2peasandadog