Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven & Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog are hosting #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evenings.
#2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic.
Every Sunday, we will post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat.
Want to read the recap of this chat? Click the image below.
On Tuesday, July 28, our #2ndaryELA chat will focus on the ELA classroom library.
8:00 Intros: What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one.
8:05 Q1: What are the most popular reads in your classroom library? (titles, genres, etc.)
8:15 Q2: Where do you get your books from? (other than what your school provides)
8:25 Q3: How do you ensure that your books match student interests and reading levels?
8:35 Q4: Do you allow students to take books home? What is your system for managing that?
8:45 Q5: How do you have your classroom library organized? Is it easy for students to self select?
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-9 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “All tweets.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 10 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
You can schedule your responses to the questions ahead of time using a scheduler like TweetDeck or HootSuite (but don’t forget to use A1, A2, etc. and #2ndaryELA). Links are encouraged, so be sure to use a link shortener like tinyurl, bitly, goo.gl or ow.ly Just visit one of those links and paste your long link to shorten it for Twitter. Using images is also encouraged when relevant.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
Be sure to spread the word to any teacher friends who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to chatting with you Tuesday evening and in our 2ndaryELA Facebook group!
Grab Great Teaching Tips!
Subscribe to our email list to get engaging teaching and lesson ideas, as well as special subscriber only bonus resources sent directly to your email address.