Brynn Allison from The Literary Maven & Kristy Avis from 2 Peas and a Dog are hosting a #2ndaryELA chat on Twitter every Tuesday evening. #2ndaryELA is a weekly Twitter chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a specific topic.
Every Sunday, we will post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat.
On Tuesday, July 14, we will host our first #2ndaryELA chat reflecting on last school year.
Want to read the recap of this Twitter chat? Click on the image below.
8:00 Intros – What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1: What is something you will definitely being doing again this year because it was such a success last year? #2ndaryELA
8:15 Q2: What is something you want to change or improve upon from last year? #2ndaryELA
8:25 Q3: What was your biggest instructional challenge last year? Were you able to overcome it? How? #2ndaryELA
8:35 Q4: What was your favorite text you read last year with your class? Why? (nonfiction, fiction, poetry, play, etc.) #2ndaryELA
8:45 Q5: What was an invaluable resource you relied upon last year? (book, article, blog, type of technology, etc.) #2ndaryELA
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-9 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “All tweets.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 10 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
You can schedule your responses to the questions ahead of time using a scheduler like TweetDeck or HootSuite (but don’t forget to use A1, A2, etc. and #2ndaryELA). Links are encouraged, so be sure to use a link shortener like tinyurl, bitly, goo.gl or ow.ly Just visit one of those links and paste your long link to shorten it for Twitter. Using images is also encouraged when relevant.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
Be sure to spread the word to any teacher friends who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to chatting with you Tuesday evening and in our 2ndaryELA Facebook group
Exclusive Resources For Teachers
Subscribe to get engaging lesson ideas and special subscriber only bonus lessons like our Rant Writing Unit sent directly to your email address.