Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven
& Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog
are hosting #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evening from 8 – 8:30 PM EST. #2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic. Every Sunday, we will post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat. Thank you to everyone who joined us last week and we hope that you will join us again.
New in 2016 is our 2ndaryELA Facebook group, which we would love to have you join even if you aren’t on Twitter. 2ndaryELA is a group of middle and high school English Language Arts teachers looking to share ideas and best practices. This group is an extension of our Twitter chat and a place for collaboration, questions, and encouragement. Feel free to post teaching ideas, success stories, resource links, photos, etc. that will enhance our instruction.
On Tuesday, March 8, our #2ndaryELA chat will focus on teaching vocabulary.
8:00 Intros: What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1: What vocabulary do you explicitly teach? From texts you’re reading? A root-based program? A separate vocabulary book? #2ndaryELA
8:10 Q2: How do you teach new vocabulary words as they arise? Share your strategies. #2ndaryELA
8:15 Q3: Do you use word walls in your classroom? How do you make effective use of them? #2ndaryELA
8:20 Q4: Do you encourage the use of paper or online dictionaries in your classroom? What are the pros and cons of each type? #2ndaryELA
8:25 Q5: Share your favorite vocabulary resources that you use in your classroom. #2ndaryELA
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-8:30 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “All tweets.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 5 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
You can schedule your responses to the questions ahead of time using a scheduler like TweetDeck
but don’t forget to use A1, A2, etc. and #2ndaryELA). Links are encouraged, so be sure to use a link shortener like tinyurl
Just visit one of those links and paste your long link to shorten it for Twitter. Using images is also encouraged when relevant.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
Be sure to spread the word to any teacher friends who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to chatting with you Tuesday evening and in our 2ndaryELA Facebook group
Exclusive Resources For Teachers
Subscribe to get engaging lesson ideas and special subscriber only bonus lessons like our Rant Writing Unit sent directly to your email address.