Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven & Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog host #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evening from 8 – 8:30 PM EST. #2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic. Every Sunday, we post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat. Thank you to everyone who joined us last week and we hope that you will join us again.
We’d also love for you to join our 2ndaryELA Facebook group, even if you aren’t on Twitter. 2ndaryELA is a group of middle and high school English Language Arts teachers looking to share ideas and best practices. This group is an extension of our Twitter chat and a place for collaboration, questions, and encouragement. Feel free to post teaching ideas, success stories, resource links, photos, etc. that will enhance our instruction.
On Tuesday, August 8, our #2ndaryELA chat will be about curriculum, unit, and lesson planning.
8:00 – What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1: When you plan, do you start with the standards? The text? The desired outcome? Why? #2ndaryELA
8:10 Q2: What’s your approach to planning when there are texts you are required to teach? #2ndaryELA
8:15 Q3: What does the structure of a single lesson plan look like for you? #2ndaryELA
8:20 Q4: How do you assess throughout a unit to ensure that your lessons are helping students reach the end goal? #2ndaryELA
8:25 Q5: What advice would you give to teachers struggling to plan a unit or an entire curriculum? #2ndaryELA
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-8:30 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “Latest.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 5 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
You can also check out a quick video tutorial in this blog post.
Be sure to spread the word to any teacher friends who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to chatting with you Tuesday evening and in our 2ndaryELA Facebook group!
Grab Great Teaching Tips!
Subscribe to our email list to get engaging teaching and lesson ideas, as well as special subscriber only bonus resources sent directly to your email address.