Brynn Allison, The Literary Maven & Kristy, 2 Peas and a Dog host #2ndaryELA on Twitter every Tuesday evening from 8 – 8:30 PM EST. #2ndaryELA is a weekly chat for secondary English Language Arts teachers focused on a topic. Every Sunday, we post the topic and questions on our blogs to allow you to prepare for the upcoming Tuesday evening’s chat. Thank you to everyone who joined us last week and we hope that you will join us again.
We’d also love for you to join our 2ndaryELA Facebook group, even if you aren’t on Twitter. 2ndaryELA is a group of middle and high school English Language Arts teachers looking to share ideas and best practices. This group is an extension of our Twitter chat and a place for collaboration, questions, and encouragement. Feel free to post teaching ideas, success stories, resource links, photos, etc. that will enhance our instruction.
On Tuesday, October 24, our #2ndaryELA chat will be about learning stations and centers.
8:00 – What and where do you teach? Include a link to your blog if you have one. #2ndaryELA
8:05 Q1: How do you use learning stations or centers in connection with reading? #2ndaryELA
8:10 Q2: How do you use learning stations or centers in connection with writing? #2ndaryELA
8:15 Q3: Are the activities in your learning stations or centers usually independent or collaborative? #2ndaryELA
8:20 Q4: Is there always a tangible product in your learning stations or centers? How do you hold students accountable for their work? #2ndaryELA
8:25 Q5: How do you manage student behavior during learning stations or centers? #2ndaryELA
1. Log into Twitter on Tuesday from 8-8:30 PM EST.
2. Search for tweets with the hashtag #2ndaryELA in the search bar. Make sure to click “Latest.”
3. Introductions are for the first 5 minutes.
4. Starting at 8:05 (@literarymaven or @2peasandadog) will post questions every 5 minutes using the format Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. and the hashtag #2ndaryELA.
5. Respond to questions using the format A1, A2, A3, etc. with #2ndaryELA.
6. Follow any teachers responding and who are also using #2ndaryELA.
7. Like and respond to other teachers’ tweets.
New to chats? Here are the rules:
1. Stay on topic & stay positive!
2. Please do not post or promote paid products unless specifically asked.
3. If you arrive late, try to look through other posts before beginning.
4. Feel free to just read, like, and/or retweet.
5. Always use our hashtag #2ndaryELA, including in your replies to others.
6. Make sure your twitter feed is set to public. (Also keep in mind that Twitter is completely public – that means students, parents, and administrators can and will read what you tweet.)
You can also check out a quick video tutorial in this blog post.
Be sure to spread the word to any teacher friends who might be interested in joining us as well. We look forward to chatting with you Tuesday evening and in our 2ndaryELA Facebook group!
Exclusive Resources For Teachers
Subscribe to get engaging lesson ideas and special subscriber only bonus lessons like our Rant Writing Unit sent directly to your email address.