Reflection is an important skill that we need to reinforce with our students. To assist with this task, I created a New Year’s small group discussion and goal setting activity to help my students with their reflection skills. In this step-by-step goal setting activity, students will be excited and engaged during their first week back at school.
1. Arrange students in small groups of 4 – 5 people.
2. Give each group a bag of discussion prompts.
3. Provide students time to use the discussion prompts in their small groups.
4. Have a brief class discussion about new ideas they started to think about stemming from the discussion.
5. Hand out the New Year’s Reflection Sheets and model responses under a document camera.
6. Give students independent work time to fill out their reflection sheets.
7. As time permits, conference with your students about their goals.
Included in this Resource:
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Group Reflection Discussion Prompts
- 2 Goal Setting Graphic Organizers
- Google Classroom ready PDFs
Exclusive Resources For Teachers
Subscribe to get engaging lesson ideas and special subscriber only bonus lessons like our Rant Writing Unit sent directly to your email address.